Let's continue with another insight on the Universities included in our network. After ODU (Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia) we move further north into the heart of the Big Apple.
St. John’s University
St. John’s University is a Vincentian Catholic University founded in 1870 and located in Queens, few kilometers from Manhattan (New York City). It currently has more than 21,000 students (full and part-time) and a network of over 180,000 alumni (former students).
The University is organized into six schools and colleges in order to offer a wide variety of different majors that go from the arts to the sciences:
- St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- School of Education,
- Peter J. Tobin College of Business
- College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- The Lesley H. and William L. CollinsCollege of Professional Studies (St. Vincent's College)
- St. John's School of Law
The Pharmacy School was ranked in the top 100 in the Nation; Majors in Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Rhetoric and Composition, Economics and Biology/Biological Sciences are also very popular.
St. John’s is an international and inclusive University, that hosts students from all over the World and has always been attentive to minorities.
As for the athletic department, the University sponsors 16 athletic programs competing in the BIG EAST CONFERENCE (NCAA Division I):
- Men's and Women's Basketball
- Men's and Women's Soccer
- Women's Volleyball
- Men's and Women's Fencing
- Men's and Women's Tennis
- Men's and Women's Golf
- Men's Lacrosse
- Women's Track & Field
The most famous team is certainly Men's Basketball: the legendary coach Lou Carnesecca, who entered the NBA Hall of Fame, was a two-time National Coach of the Year and in 1985 he led the Johnnies to the National Final Four. Men's and Women's Basketball teams disputes their home games between the Carnesecca Arena (which hosts other team sports as well) and the legendary Madison Square Garden in New York.
The 2019 Women's Volleyball team won the Big East Conference title for the fifth time in history. The team is made up of athletes coming from 8 different countries, two of them are Italian. Erica di Maulo, who just graduated and ended her career with the tournament victory and Rachele Rastelli, who is getting ready to start her third year as a student-athlete in St. John's.
Joanne Persico, team's head coach, holds the record for most appearances in college history: in 2019 she reached the 500th career victory and next fall she is getting ready to face her 27th season as head coach.
Finally, St. John's University enumerates several alumni that are notable personalities in the world of politics, sports and entertainment. Here are a few:
- Mario Cuomo (former Governor of the State of New York and father of current Governor Andrew Cuomo)
- William J. Casey (Director of CIA dal 1981 al 1987)
- Ron Brown (America Secretary of Commerce during Bill Clinton's presidency)
- J. Cole (Rapper and Producer)
- Amir Garret (Professional Basell player)
- Rima Fakih (Miss USA 2010)
- Lou Carnesecca (NBA Hall of Fame Coach)
- Chris Mullin (NBA Hall of Famer)